What Is Methamphetamine (Meth)?
Also known as
- ‘Ice’, Glass, Crystal, Speed, ‘Quartz’, ‘Ice Cream’, ‘Hirropon’, ‘Ya ba’, Shabu or Syabu.
- Methamphetamine in its crystallised form is known as methamphetamine hydrochloride. It usually comes in the form of a colourless and odourless crystal that resembles glass fragments or shiny blue-white “rocks” of various sizes. This explains why it is more commonly known as ‘Ice’ in Singapore.
- Methamphetamine also comes in tablet form. In this form, it is also known as ‘Crazy Horse Pill’ or ‘Ya ba’. Most of the ‘Ya ba’ tablets found in Singapore are embossed with the ‘WY’ logo and are green or orange in colour.
- Methamphetamine is highly addictive and is a strong stimulant. It has a very strong effect on the central nervous system.
What Are The Effects of Methamphetamine (Meth)?
Withdrawal symptoms / Side effects
- Disorientation, apathy, confused exhaustion
- Strong psychological dependence
- Damage to the brain similar to Alzheimer’s disease, stroke and epilepsy
- Aggression and violent behaviour
- Auditory hallucinations
Negative effects (Physical)
- Permanent damage to blood vessels of heart and brain, high blood pressure leading to heart attacks, strokes and death
- Liver, kidney and lung damage
- Destruction of tissues in nose if sniffed
- Respiratory (breathing) problems if smoked
- Infectious diseases and abscesses if injected
- Malnutrition, weight loss
- Severe tooth decay
What Are The Penalties of Possession or Consumption of Meth?
Possession or consumption of methamphetamine:
- Up to 10 years of imprisonment or S$20,000 fine or BOTH
Manufacture of methamphetamine or any salt of methamphetamine upon conviction is death.
Illegal traffic, import or export of:
- Methamphetamine of more than 250 grams > May face the death penalty
- Methamphetamine of not less than 167 grams and not more than 250 grams > 30 years or imprisonment for life and 15 strokes