What Is Buprenorphine?
Also known as
- Subutex, tec, su su
- Subutex comes in 2 mg and 8 mg pills. Its active ingredient is Buprenorphine Hydrochloride, which is a semi-synthetic opioid derivative closely related to Morphine.
- Subutex is taken sublingually i.e. place under the tongue until it dissolves. However, abusers mix it with other prescription drugs and inject it for a greater ‘high’.
What Are The Effects of Buprenorphine?
Effects and Dangers
- Delirium tremens, clouding of consciousness and severe tremors or seizures
- Anxiety, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea
- Abdominal cramps, muscle and joint pains
- Insomnia (difficulty in sleeping)
Medical complications arising from intravenous abuse of Subutex especially when mixed with other prescription drugs:
- Clogging of veins leading to gangrene.
- Breathing problems (respiratory depression) which can lead to death.
The sharing of needles can also cause the spread of Hepatitis B and C and the HIV virus if the needles are contaminated.
What Are The Penalties of Possession or Consumption of Buprenorphine?
Possession or consumption of Buprenorphine:
- Up to 10 years of imprisonment or S$20,000 fine or BOTH
Illegal traffic of Buprenorphine:
- Up to 20 years of imprisonment and 15 strokes of the cane
Illegal import or export of Buprenorphine:
Up to 30 years of imprisonment or imprisonment for life and 15 strokes of the cane for the unauthorised manufacture of Buprenorphine