What Is Vocational Rehab? (Solution)

  • Vocational rehabilitation, also abbreviated VR or voc rehab, is a process which enables persons with functional, psychological, developmental, cognitive, and emotional disabilities, impairments or health disabilities to overcome barriers to accessing, maintaining, or returning to employment or other useful occupation.


What is an example of a vocational rehabilitation service?

The services a client receives may include counseling, education, job placement, physical or mental restoration, career training, and work modification or accommodation. Counseling and guidance are ongoing aspects of vocational rehabilitation.

What does voc rehab do?

A: Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) is a federal-state program that helps people who have disabilities get or keep a job. VR is committed to helping people with disabilities find meaningful careers.

Who qualifies for voc rehab?

To become eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation services you must (1) have a physical, mental, emotional, or learning disability that is a real barrier to you getting a job, (2) need Vocational Rehabilitation services to prepare you to get, keep, or regain employment, and (3) be able to benefit from the services that

What is a vocational disability?

Vocational disabilities are those that impact an individual’s employability and earnings capacity. An individual’s level of vocational disability is often a considered when determining whether, and in what amount, he or she will receive workers’ compensation or other benefits.

How long can I use Voc Rehab?

Generally, VA Voc Rehab benefits are limited to 48 months, as stated above. The program is only available for disabled veterans who qualify.

How long does Voc Rehab take?

Services generally last up to 48 months, but they can be extended in certain instances.

Can I use Voc Rehab if I have a job?

5. If you have a job, you do not qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation.

Does voc rehab back pay?

Previously, most Voc Rehab Counselors would only reimburse disabled veterans for out of pocket training expenses incurred to complete incorrectly disapproved training for up to one year after payment. Now, veterans can apply for Retroactive Inducation all the way back to when they would have qualified for the benefit.

What Does VR&E pay for?

Under the VR&E program, VA will pay training costs, tuition and fees, books, supplies, equipment, and special services needed by the veteran. While in training, VA will also pay a monthly “subsistence allowance” to help with living expenses.

Will voc rehab pay for college?

Vocational rehab covers a student’s tuition and fees, books, school supplies and also pays a monthly housing allowance. Because these funds are paid directly to the university, a protective hold is placed on your account once you have been certified so that you will not be dropped from your classes.

What are 4 hidden disabilities?

Hidden / Invisible Disabilities

  • Psychiatric Disabilities—Examples include major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder, etc.
  • Traumatic Brain Injury.
  • Epilepsy.
  • Diabetes.
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
  • Cystic Fibrosis.

Can you get a disability check for anxiety and depression?

If symptoms of anxiety or depression prevent you from working a full-time job, you may be eligible for social security disability benefits.

What is vocational allowance?

If you do not meet a Social Security disability listing, you can win benefits through a Medical-Vocational allowance – meaning given your impairment(s), age, education, and experience, you’re unable to make a living.

What is Vocational Rehabilitation?

Mgarcia1 – April 22, 2013 at 04:32 p.m. Individuals with disabilities, as well as those who have recently suffered an accident or handicap, can benefit from vocational rehabilitation services. Vocational rehabilitation is comprised of a variety of programs that are intended to make it easier for them to enter or return to work. Training, updating of general skills, refresher courses, on-the-job training, career counseling, employment searches, and advising with new or existing employers on job adjustments or modification are just a few of the services offered by the Department of Labor.

If you are in need of vocational rehabilitation, there are a variety of services available to you:

  • In order to find out what services are available in your region, contact the vocational rehabilitation office in your state. You may look for the vocational rehabilitation offices and services in your state by visiting the Job Accommodation Network (JAN). You may also look into the One-Stop Career Centers operated by the Department of Labor, which provide career tools and workforce information to students, companies, job seekers, and workforce professionals. Alternatively, you can phone them at 877/889-5627. If you are a veteran who has a service-connected disability, please visit the Department of Veteran Affairs’ Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program for more information on your options. They’ll be able to tell you what services they give, who is qualified for their services, and how to apply for those services, among other things. Also available is VetSuccess.gov, which assists Veterans, Service Members, and qualifying family members in establishing fulfilling professions by connecting them with firms that are interested in employing them
  • And Visit the Workforce Recruitment Program if you are a college student or recent graduate looking for a job (WRP). You may find out more about the program by visiting the National Employer Technical Assistance Center’s website. And you can learn more about what you should do to prepare for your WRP interview by reading our blog article on the subject.


It is possible that you will get Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR E) services (formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment services) to assist you with vocational training, employment accommodations, resume creation, and job searching skills coaching. Other services, such as assistance in launching a company for Veterans and Servicemembers, or independent living services for individuals who are seriously injured and unable to work in regular jobs, may be made available. Review the VR E Process page, as well as the tabs and links on this page, if you want to learn more about the VR E program.

For Employers

Transferable talents and professional experience are abundant among veterans who have served their country in the armed forces. If you hire veterans, you may be eligible for benefits such as salary subsidies, assistive technology, non-paid work experiences, and special employer incentives from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Explore the resources available from the Department of Veterans Affairs to make employing or rehiring a Veteran with a service-connected disability that much simpler.

These external resources provide information on Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), and other topics.

It also contains a link to the Department of Labor’s America’s Heroes at Work website, which provides companies with on-line training, webcasts, and presentations, as well as a Hiring Veterans Toolkit and a TBI, PTSD, and Employment Training Tool.

How to Apply

Veterans and service members who meet the eligibility requirements can apply for Veteran Readiness and Employment benefits online.

NC DHHS: Vocational Rehabilitation Services

The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS) is dedicated to assisting persons with disabilities in achieving their job and independent living goals. If you have a handicap that hinders you from attaining job success or living independently in the community of your choice, DVRS can link you to services and resources that will assist you in accomplishing your objectives in that location.

Chris Egan is the Senior Director of Employment Services at the company. Kathy B. Trotter is the director of this film.

Scam Alert

The DVRS division director, Kathie Trotter, as well as Chris Egan, senior director, are believed to have been impersonated by an unknown individual who unlawfully collected money from persons with disabilities. In no case will employees of the division demand that you make a direct payment to them for any service, whether in person or through mobile payment apps such as CashApp or Venmo. If you have been a victim of attempted fraud, you can file a report with the North Carolina Attorney General’s Office or with your local criminal enforcement agency.

Arizona Department of Economic Security

A wide range of services are provided to people with disabilities through the Vocational Rehabilitation program, with the ultimate objective of preparing them for, assisting them in obtaining, or retaining, gainful work.

Am I eligible for the VR Program?

If you fulfill all of the following qualifications, you may be eligible for virtual reality services:

  1. A physical or mental disability has been diagnosed in you
  2. Your physical or mental impairment constitutes or results in a major barrier to work
  3. And you are seeking employment. It is necessary for you to get VR services in order to prepare for, secure, maintain, or recover work
  4. And, it is beneficial for you to receive VR services in order to achieve a positive employment result.
You might be interested:  What To Ask A Rehab Center? (Solution)

Individuals who are confirmed to be qualified for VR services may be placed on a waiting list due to a lack of available state funds. The waitlist is intended to guarantee that persons who are in the greatest need of VR services receive them as soon as possible.

How do I apply for the VR Program?

  • Inquire about services or schedule an appointment by calling or visiting a VR office in your area. RSA Referral form will be completed on your behalf by VR personnel after they have collected your personal information.
  • Simply fill out one of the recommendation forms shown below and send it to RSA by email.
  • Referral Form (Fillable)
  • Referral Form (Large Print)
  • Referral Form (Fillable)

Telephone 1-800-563-1221 if you would like to talk with someone about general information about RSA programs or if you need assistance completing a referral for services form. A VR staff member will call you to schedule an appointment after your referral has been received and forwarded to a local field office for further processing. READ 7 Tips for Getting the Most Out of Vocational Rehabilitation.

Vocational Rehabilitation

This program is administered by the Division of Rehabilitation Services, which is responsible for determining whether or not an individual qualifies for vocational rehabilitation services, determining the nature and scope of VR services, and providing individuals with disabilities individualized employment-focused rehabilitation services based on the individual’s strengths, priorities, and available resources.

CLICK HERE to get a fact sheet on vocational rehabilitation. CLICK HERE to get a fact sheet about vocational rehabilitation in Spanish.

Your feedback is important to us. Please complete our Customer Experience Survey today!

Customer Satisfaction Survey by the Department of Homeland Security

Learn more about:

The STEP program (Support and Training for Exceptional Parents) and the Job Tax Credit for Employing People with Disabilities

Contact Information:

Vocational Rehabilitation Services (also known as VRS) James K. Polk State Office Building, 15th floor505 Deaderick StreetNashville, TN37243-1403 James K. Polk State Office Building, 15th floor505 Deaderick StreetNashville, TN37243-1403 Phone: (833) 751-0597 (toll-free). Phone: (615) 313-4891 Fax: (615) 524-3093 (Local)

Vocational Rehabilitation Home

Join the conversation with OVR on social media! Contracts for Innovation and Expansion Projects of $1.35 million are awarded by the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation. Persons with disabilities can get vocational rehabilitation assistance from the Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, sometimes known as the OVR, to help them prepare for, acquire, or keep work. Both directly and via a network of certified suppliers, the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) provides services to qualifying persons with disabilities.

  • Customer assistance is provided by the OVR counselor during face-to-face conversations with consumers in the selection of their occupational objectives, services, and service providers.
  • Certain services are subject to a Financial Needs Test (FNT), and the consumer may be required to contribute financially to the service.
  • Additionally, by law, OVR customers who receive Social Security disability benefits (SSI or SSDI) for their handicap are excluded from the Financial Needs Test administered by OVR.
  • A thorough rehabilitation program and vocational training are available at the Hiram G.
  • The Bureau of Blindness and Visual Services, which is part of the Office of the Vice President, also provides specialized services to blind and visually impaired citizens.

The Office of the Virginia Governor’s central administrative offices in Harrisburg give technical assistance to local district offices in order to improve the delivery of services to the public.

Types of Vocational Rehabilitation Services

Join the OVR social media community! Project Contracts for Innovation and Expansion from the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation total $1.35 million. Persons with disabilities can receive vocational rehabilitation assistance from the Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, sometimes known as the OVR, to help them prepare for, achieve, and keep gainful work. Both directly and via a network of certified suppliers, the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) provides services to qualifying people with disabilities.

  1. Clients are assisted in selecting their occupational objectives, services, and service providers by an OVR counselor during face-to-face conversations with them.
  2. a Financial Needs Testing (FNT) is required for some services, and customers who fail the test may be required to pay a financial penalty.
  3. A further exception to the Financial Needs Test is provided by law for OVR customers who receive Social Security disability benefits (SSI or SSDI).
  4. A thorough rehabilitation program and vocational training are provided at the Hiram G.
  5. Individuals who are blind or visually impaired can benefit from the services provided by the Bureau of Blindness and Visual Services, which is part of the Office of the Governor.
  6. Technical help to local district offices is provided by OVR’s central administrative offices in Harrisburg in order to improve service delivery.
  • While undergoing an evaluation or finishing a rehabilitation program, expenses such as room, board, and transportation are incurred. Tools, licenses, and/or equipment for the occupation
  • Home adaptations, adaptive equipment, and special household equipment are all available to assist you in getting ready for and arriving on time for your work. Modifications to your van or automobile, such as special driving devices or lifting gear, to enable you to go to your place of employment
  • The provision of personal care support in order to assist you with your everyday requirements in order for you to engage in a vocational rehabilitation program
  • Job site improvements that will allow you to obtain and maintain employment. Training in independent living to enable you to become more self-sufficient and, as a result, to be more employable
  • The use of text telephone (TT), signaling devices, hearing aids, and interpreters services may be made available to you in order to facilitate communication. Blind and visually impaired individuals can benefit from specialized services such as Rehabilitation Teaching, Orientation and Mobility Training, and other similar programs

What if I have Questions or Complaints?

OVR will assist you in completing your rehabilitation program. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to ask them. You have the right to receive the best service that OVR has to offer. Your thoughts, critiques, and recommendations for improvement are much appreciated. It is possible to submit an appeal if you are an applicant or a client of OVR and are unsatisfied with a decision or service that OVR has provided. Procedures for filing an appeal: A written request for a hearing must be submitted within thirty (30) days of the date of the incident.

Prior to the impartial hearing, you will be given the chance to submit your case for informal administrative review. You may seek assistance from the Client Assistance Program at any point throughout your program. CAPP (Client Assistance Program) in Pennsylvania (PA CAP)


Policy on Low Vision Services at OVR (Draft) The proposed Office of Vocational Rehabilitation Low Vision Services policy will be available on the Department of Labor and Industry’s OVR homepage from January 18 through February 16, 2017. A public comment period of 30 days will be opened for stakeholders and the general public to provide feedback on the proposal. Comments should be sent to [email protected] by the 16th of February. System for the Development of the Entire Workforce (CWDS) On Monday, November 19, the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation became a member of the new Commonwealth Workforce Development System (CWDS).

The OVR Office Directorycan assist you in locating an OVR district office in your area.

Spring Issue of the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation’s Pre-Employment Transition Services Newsletter Return to the top of the page

State Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies

States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and four territories receive formula grants from the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA) to administer the State Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Services, State Supported Employment Services, and Independent Living Services for Older Individuals Who Are Blind programs. Individuals with all forms of impairments are served by one VR agency in 34 of these states and territories, which are referred to as combined VR agencies. Additional to this, 22 states have formed two virtual reality (VR) agencies: one that serves those who are blind or have visual impairments, known as Blind VR agencies, and another that serves individuals with all other sorts of disabilities, known as General VR agencies.

The following section contains contact information for each of the 78 VR agencies.


  • Contact information: (334) 293-7500
  • Toll-free number: (800) 441-7607
  • Website:
  • Director: Jane E. Burdeshaw


  • Contact information: (907) 465-2814
  • Toll-free: (800) 478-2815
  • Website:
  • Director: Duane Mayes


  • The phone number is (602) 542-6295
  • The website is
  • The director is Kristen Mackey.

American Samoa

  • Pete Galea’i is the director, and his phone number is (684) 699-1371 or (684) 699-4234.


  • For further information, call (501) 296-1600 or visit the website. Director: Joseph Baxter

Arkansas-Blind: Division of Services for the Blind

  • Call (501) 682-5463
  • TTY (501) 682-0093
  • Website: Cassondra Williams
  • Director: Cassondra Williams


  • The following numbers are available: (916) 324-1313
  • (916) 558-5807
  • And Director: Joe Xavier.


  • Contact information: (303) 866-4150
  • Toll-Free: (866) 870-4595
  • TTY: (303) 866-4150
  • Website: Kristin Corash
  • Director:


  • Phone: (860) 920-7163
  • Video Phone: (860) 920-7163
  • Website:
  • Director: David Doukas

Connecticut-Blind: Bureau of Education and Services for the Blind

  • The following phone numbers are available: (860) 602-4000
  • Toll-free: (800) 842-4510
  • TTY: (860) 602-4221
  • And the following website is available:


  • The following numbers are available: (302) 761-8275
  • (302) 761-8275 (TTY)
  • And the following website:

Delaware-Blind: Division for the Visually Impaired

  • Contact information: (302) 255-9800
  • TTY: (302) 255-9854
  • Website:
  • Director: Debbie Talley-Beane

District of Columbia

  • Call (202) 730-1700 or (202) 730-1516, or visit the website. Darryl Evans is the director.


  • (850) 245-3479
  • Toll-Free: (800) 451-4327
  • TTY: (850) 245-3399
  • Website: Antionette Williams is the director of this organization.

Florida-Blind: Division of Blind Services

  • Robert Doyle is the director. His phone number is (850) 245-0300, and his toll-free number is (800) 342-1828.


  • Toll-free number: (866) 489-0001
  • (404) 232-1998
  • TTY: (404) 232-1998 Website:
  • Chris Wells is the director.


  • Contact information: (671) 475-4200
  • Website:
  • Director: Rita Sotomayor


  • Call (808) 586-4993 or visit the website for more information. Director: Maureen Bates


  • Jane Donnellan is the director of the film. Her phone number is (208) 334-3390, and her website is.

Idaho-Blind: State Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

  • The phone number is (208) 334-3220, and the toll-free number is (800) 542-8688. The website is
  • The director is Beth Cunningham.


  • (800) 843-6154
  • (800) 447-6404
  • Toll-free: (800) 843-6154
  • Website:
  • Rahnee Patrick is the director.


  • Toll-Free: (800) 545-7763
  • Fax: (800) 545-7763 Website:
  • Theresa Koleszar is the director.


  • Call (515) 281-4211
  • TTY (515) 281-4211
  • Website: Daniel Tallon is the director of this production.

Iowa-Blind: Department for the Blind

  • Phone: (515) 281-1333
  • Toll-Free: (800) 362-2587
  • TTY: (515) 281-1355
  • Website: Emily Wharton is the director.


  • (785) 368-7471
  • Toll-Free: (866) 213-9079
  • TTY: (785) 368-7478
  • Website: Daniel Decker is the director of this production.


  • The following numbers can be reached: (502) 782-3402
  • Toll-free: (800) 372-7172
  • And the following website:


  • Contact information: (225) 219-2225
  • Toll-free: (800) 737-2958
  • Website:
  • Director: Melissa Bayham


  • Call (207) 623-7943 or visit their website. The director is Libby Stone-Sterling.

Maine-Blind: Division for the Blind and Visually Impaired

  • Call (207) 623-7954 or visit the website for further information. Director: Brenda Drummond


  • The following numbers are available: (410) 554-9442
  • (888) 554-0334
  • (410) 554-9411
  • Website:
  • Director: Scott Dennis


  • The following phone numbers are available: (617) 204-3600
  • Toll-free: (800) 245-6543
  • TTY: (800) 245-6543
  • Website:
  • Director: David D’Arcangelo

Massachusetts-Blind: Commission for the Blind

  • Call (617) 727-5550
  • Toll-free (800) 392-6450
  • TTY (800) 392-6556
  • Website: Toni Wolf is the director of this production.


  • Contact information: (517) 241-5324
  • Toll-Free: (800) 605-6722
  • TTY: Dial 711 and give the relay operator with the toll-free number (800) 605-6722
  • Director: Tina Fullerton
  • Website:

Michigan-Blind: Michigan Bureau of Services for Blind Persons

  • Contact information: (517) 373-2062
  • Toll-Free: (800) 292-4200
  • TTY: (888) 864-1212
  • Website: William A. Robinson, III
  • Director:


  • Contact information: (517) 373-2062
  • Toll-free: (800) 292-4200
  • TTY: (888) 864-1212
  • Website:
  • Director: William A. Robinson, III
You might be interested:  What Rehab Does Medicare Cover? (Solved)

Minnesota-Blind: State Services for the Blind

  • Phone: (651) 642-0500
  • Toll-Free: (800) 652-9000
  • TTY: (651) 642-0506
  • Website: Natasha Jerde is the director.


  • Contact information: (800) 443-1000
  • Website:
  • Director: Chris Howard


  • Contact information: (573) 751-3251
  • Toll-Free: (877) 222-8963
  • TTY: (573) 751-0881
  • Website: Timothy Gaines
  • Director: Timothy Gaines

Missouri-Blind: State Services for the Blind

  • Phone: (573) 751-4249
  • Toll-Free: (800) 592-6004
  • Website:
  • Director: Keith Roderick
  • Contact information:


  • The following numbers can be reached: (406) 444-4179
  • Toll-free: (877) 296-1197
  • TTY: (406) 444-2590
  • Director: Chanda Hermanson


  • To reach the company by phone, dial (402) 471-3644 or toll-free, dial (877) 637-3422, or visit their website.

Nebraska-Blind: Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

  • The following numbers are available: (402) 471-2891, (877) 809-2419, and the following website:
  • Director: Carlos Servan


  • TTY: (775) 684-8400 in the Northern Nevada area
  • (702) 486-5230 in the Southern Nevada area
  • Drazen Elez as the director
  • Website:
  • Phone: (775) 684-4040
  • TTY: (775) 684-8400 in the Northern Nevada area
  • Director: Drazen Elez
  • TTY: (702) 486-1018 in the Southern Nevada area

New Hampshire

  • The following numbers are available: (603) 271-3471, (800) 299-1647, and the following website: Lisa Katz is the director.

New Jersey

  • The phone number is (609) 292-7318
  • The website is
  • The director is Karen Carroll.

New Jersey-Blind: Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired

  • Phone: (973) 648-3333
  • Toll-Free: (877) 685-8878
  • Website:
  • Director: Bernice Davis
  • Contact information:

New Mexico

  • Contact information: (973) 648-3333
  • Toll-free: (877) 685-8878
  • Website:
  • Director: Bernice Davis

New Mexico-Blind: Commission for the Blind

  • For more information, call (505) 827-4479 or visit their website.

New York

  • Contact information: (800) 222-5627
  • Website:
  • Director: Ceylane Meyers-Ruff

New York-Blind: Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped

  • Toll-Free: (866) 871-3000
  • TTY: (866) 871-6000
  • Website:
  • Director: Julie Hovey
  • Toll-Free: (866) 871-3000

North Carolina

  • (800) 689-9090
  • TTY: (919) 855-3579
  • VP: (919) 324-1500
  • Website:
  • Kathie Trotter is the director of the program.

North Carolina-Blind: Division of Services for the Blind

  • Contact information: (919) 527-6704, website:
  • Director: Cynthia Speight

North Dakota

  • (701) 328-8950
  • Toll-Free: (800) 755-2745
  • Website:
  • Damian Schlinger is the director of the production.

Northern Marianas

  • Phone: (670) 322-6537
  • TTY: (670) 322-6449
  • Website:
  • Director: Arlene Reyes
  • Contact information:


  • For more information, call (866) 895-0058 or visit the website. Director: Kevin Miller


  • The following numbers are available: (405) 951-3400
  • (800) 845-8476
  • 405) 951-3400 (TTY)
  • Director: Melinda Fruendt
  • Website:


  • Contact information: (503) 945-5880
  • Toll-free: (877) 277-0513
  • Website: Keith Ozols
  • Director:

Oregon-Blind: State Commission for the Blind

  • Call (971) 673-1588 or visit the website to learn more about the director, Dacia Johnson.


  • Contact information: (717) 787-5476
  • Toll-Free: (800) 442-6351
  • TTY: (717) 787-4885 or (866) 830-7327
  • Website: Shannon Austin is the director.

Puerto Rico

  • Call (787) 729-0160
  • TTY (787) 268-3735
  • Website:
  • Director: Mara M. Gómez Garca
  • Contact information:

Rhode Island

  • The following numbers are available: (401) 421-7005
  • (401) 421-7016
  • Website:
  • Director: Ronald Racine

South Carolina

  • For further information, call toll-free: (800) 832-7526
  • For TTY: (803) 896-6553
  • Or visit the website.

South Carolina-Blind: Commission for the Blind

  • Call (888) 335-5951 or (803) 898-8731
  • Website:
  • Darline Graham is the director.

South Dakota

  • The following numbers are available: (605) 773-3195
  • (605) 773-5483
  • Website:
  • Director: Eric Weiss

South Dakota-Blind: Services for the Blind

  • Phone: (605) 773-4644
  • Toll-free: (800) 265-9684
  • Website:
  • Director: Gaye Mattke
  • Contact information:


  • Director Gaye Mattke may be reached at (605) 773-4644 or toll-free at (800) 265-9684.


  • (800) 628-5115
  • TTY (866) 581-9328
  • Website:
  • Cheryl Fuller is the executive director.


  • (801) 535-3881
  • Toll-Free: (866) 454-8397
  • TTY: (801) 887-09500
  • Website: jobs.utah.gov/usor
  • Sarah Brenna is the director.


  • Call (802) 241-1455 or (866) 879-6757, or use TTY (802) 241-1455 to reach Diane Dalmasse, who is also the director of the organization.

Vermont-Blind: Division of Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired

  • (800) 639-5861
  • Website:
  • Director: Fred Jones

Virgin Islands

  • Contact information: (340) 773-2323, extension 2134
  • TTY: (340) 776-2043
  • Website:
  • Director: Sharia Green


  • The following numbers can be reached: (804) 662-7000
  • Toll-free: (800) 552-5019
  • TTY: (800) 464-9950
  • Website:

Virginia-Blind: Department for the Blind and Vision Impaired

  • Contact information: (804) 371-3151
  • Toll free number: (800) 622-2155
  • Website:
  • Director: Raymond Hopkins


  • Interim Director: Terry Redmon
  • Phone: (360) 725-3610
  • Toll-Free: (800) 637-5627
  • TTY: (800) 637-5627
  • Website:

Washington-Blind: Department of Services for the Blind

  • The phone number is (800) 552-7103
  • The website is
  • The director is Michael MacKillop

West Virginia

  • To contact the company, call (304) 356-2060 or call toll-free (800) 642-8207. The director is Pisnu Bua-Iam.


  • Phone: (608) 261-0050
  • Toll-Free: (800) 442-3477
  • TTY: (888) 877-5939
  • Website:
  • Delora Newton is the director.


  • Contact information: (307) 777-8650
  • Website: Nicky Harper
  • Director:

Vocational Rehabilitation for Individuals With Disabilities

Vulnerable workers can receive the assistance they need to become more independent and return to the workforce through vocational rehabilitation (VR) programs, which are operated by the states and financed by the federal government.

How Do I Qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation?

To be eligible for federally supported vocational rehabilitation, you must meet the following requirements:

  • A physical or mental ailment that results in a “significant obstacle” to your capacity to work, and the ability to benefit from VR services in order to get employment.

In most cases, if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), you will be automatically eligible for VR services unless your disability is so severe that you will not benefit from participating in a VR program. To apply for VR services, contact the agency in your state that oversees the program. You can find a complete state-by-state list of vocational rehabilitation agencies, as well as their contact information, here. (Some states’ departments of vocational rehabilitation are under the jurisdiction of the health and human services agency, while others’ are under the jurisdiction of the department of education.) Additionally, your localSocial Security field office can assist you in locating the nearest vocational rehabilitation office in your state.

How Can Vocational Rehabilitation Help Me?

Listed below are some of the services that vocational rehabilitation may provide for you:

  • Job counseling, guidance, and referral services
  • Physical and mental rehabilitation
  • Vocational (job) and other training
  • On-the-job training
  • Financial assistance while you are receiving some voc rehab services
  • Transportation to some voc rehab services
  • An interpreter or reader services (if you are deaf or blind)
  • Assistance in transitioning from state to federal employment. A personal assessment of your disability(ies) to determine if you qualify and how VR can help you.

According to the legislation, state agencies are required to provide at least those services listed above, while your state may provide extra services.

What If I Want to Become Self-Employed?

If you wish to establish your own small business, virtual reality classes and counselors can assist you. Among other things, they may assist you with doing a market study and developing a company strategy.

What If I Want to Go Back to School?

It is possible that you will be qualified for a scholarship from the college or university where you will be attending if you decide to return to school. You will be obliged to work for a public rehabilitation agency for two years for every year of full-time scholarship money you get if you take a VR scholarship, however this is not mandatory. If you would like further information or an application for a vocational rehabilitation scholarship, you can contact the financial aid department at your institution.

  • Rehabilitation Counseling (master’s and doctoral programs)
  • Rehabilitation Administration
  • Rehabilitation Technology
  • Vocational Evaluation and Work Adjustment
  • Rehabilitation of Individuals Who Are Mentally Ill
  • Rehabilitation Psychology
  • Undergraduate Education in Rehabilitation Services
  • Rehabilitation of Individuals Who Are Blind or Have Vision Impairments
  • Rehabilitation of Individuals Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
  • Rehabilitation Job Development and Job Placement

How Does VR Affect My Eligibility for Social Security or SSI Disability Benefits?

If you are engaged in a VR program, the Social Security Administration will not assess your eligibility for disability benefits based on thematical requirements for disability; but, any wages you earn may still have an impact on your eligibility or benefits. However, the Social Security Administration (SSA) offers work incentive programs that can assist you minimize any potential impact your return to work may have on your benefits. These programs are referred to as the Ticket to Work program.

Do I Have to Enroll in a Vocational RehabilitationProgram?

No. It is not mandatory for you to enroll in a VR program, nor is it mandatory for you to participate in any Ticket to Work programs.

Vocational Rehabilitation Services

The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation, generally known as “VR,” is a Department of Labor program that assists persons with impairments in obtaining and maintaining gainful employment in the workplace. Those who are physically, mentally, or emotionally disabled can benefit from virtual reality.

Who Is Eligible For VR Services?

You must submit an application for services in order to be considered for VR. To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a handicap that prevents you from obtaining or maintaining employment
  • And need VR services in order to obtain or maintain employment

The determination of eligibility must be completed within 60 days, however it is frequently completed in a significantly shorter amount of time.

How Do I Apply?

On-line application for Vocational Rehabilitation To submit an application for Vocational Rehabilitation Services, click here (Word)

What About My Employment Goals?

Your VR consultant will collaborate with you in order to assist you in making educated decisions regarding employment and occupations. The following are examples of good planning:

  • The skills and qualities you possess
  • The sorts of occupations you wish to consider
  • The locations in which you are willing to work and reside
  • And the modes of transportation accessible to you

The more your ability to be adaptable, the more probable it is that you will find work. You and your vocational rehabilitation counselor must collaborate in order to build a strategy that will lead to employment.

What Services Does VR Provide?

Every individual’s rehabilitation plan is unique, owing to the fact that every individual’s occupational requirements are unique. VR will take into consideration whatever service you require in order to attain the agreed-upon occupational objective. The Virtual Reality (VR) system will assist you in exploring alternative job options by determining your interests and aptitudes. As you narrow down your options for occupations, VR can give information about the skills and training you’ll need to succeed.

If you require training, VR can assist you in locating or developing unique training programs that are tailored to your needs.

VR may be used to purchase a variety of employment-related items that you may require in order to get or retain a job.

VR may be able to aid with the price of some medical/psychological treatments on occasion.

Some people hire a Job Developer to assist them in their job search; others hire a Job Coach, who provides tight monitoring and assistance on the job until the individual has mastered all of the necessary job skills. In most cases, services are terminated 90 days after a person obtains employment.

How Much Will This Cost?

It will not cost you anything to submit an application for services. Diagnostic services, vocational evaluations, counseling, and job placement aid are all provided at no cost to patients. You will be asked about your income and expenditures if you are found to be eligible for assistance by your counselor. As a result of your income, you may be asked if you would want to contribute towards the cost of VR services. VR will not be able to reimburse you for any services you got before applying to VR.

VR Consumer Handbook

The VR Consumer Handbook presents a simple overview of the General VR Program in plain terms for those who are interested in it.

What About VR Services for Students In High School?

Please see Youth and Transition Services for an overview of virtual reality services for students. For any recommendations for enhancing this website or if you are experiencing technical difficulties accessing any of its material, please contact:[email protected]

You might be interested:  What Is The Best Stroke Rehab Center? (TOP 5 Tips)

Vocational Rehabilitation Services: Can They Help You?

This course will provide you with information on the vocational rehabilitation programs that are available to you as you prepare to pursue higher education alternatives. Its purpose is to enhance your understanding of the services and to assist you in making future plans. These include services for the following:

  • Educational opportunities beyond secondary school
  • Vocational education or training
  • Continuing and adult education
  • Integrated or assisted employment
  • Community engagement
  • Services for independent living and older adults


  1. Describe what you need to know about the postsecondary transition process. Demonstrate your understanding of vocational rehabilitation and explain why it is important to you. Explain how you can become eligible for vocational rehabilitation programs and how you can apply for them. Explain the procedure for submitting an application for vocational rehabilitation services. Identify the programs and services available for vocational rehabilitation
  2. Identification of state-sponsored vocational rehabilitation services
  3. • Make available a searchable online dictionary of pertinent terms

In the wake of successfully completing high school, the next significant step is to prepare for the move to your college years. INTRODUCTION: This may or may not have been your first effective encounter with a transitional situation. You may or may not have received the supports you required or acquired access to all of the services that were made available to you. However, it is once again time to begin thinking about postsecondary possibilities, transition, programs, and resources for yourself and your family members.

Students with disabilities who are preparing for postsecondary alternatives require assistance as they make the transition from high school to life after graduation.

Students and their parents are frequently unaware of the numerous services and supports that are available to them, nor do they know how to obtain these services and supports.

In some states, the Department of Rehabilitation Services (DRS) can assist you with Vocational Rehabilitation services.

  1. When it comes to postsecondary transition, what do I need to know? What is vocational rehabilitation, and why is it relevant to me personally? What steps must I take to become eligible for rehabilitation services? How can I submit an application for services? What programs and services are available to assist me
  2. In my state, how can I get access to these services? What terminology do I need to be familiar with

What do I need to know about the postsecondary transfer process to be successful? It is a significant step forward for you and your family to make the move from high school to postsecondary education. It entails making critical decisions about how you will spend your adult life and what activities you will participate in. Making decisions about postsecondary education, vocational education or training, supported and integrated employment, continuing and adult education, independent living, and participation in community involvement and adult services are examples of the types of decisions that may need to be considered.

  • The process begins early in high school, with you, your family, your school counselor, and the transition team as the primary participants.
  • As part of your preparation for higher education, employment, or independent living, you should get effective transition services that will prepare you for success in postsecondary settings, according to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA, 2004).
  • These rules are aimed at assisting you in obtaining the assistance you need to be successful after high school.
  • Individuals can receive assistance with teaching, associated services, community experiences, employment development and job placement, adult living, daily living skills, and a functional vocational evaluation, among other things.
  • Make the proper choices and connections before leaving school, and have the transition team contact the relevant agencies and have your services documented in a plan before you graduate.
  • Many children will begin receiving some of these services during their final two years of high school, and the process may begin much sooner.
  • The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) (2004) mandates that, as soon as you turn 16 years old, or even younger, your IEP must include goals that you may achieve and assistance to assist you in achieving those goals.
  • Assessments may be performed for the purposes of training, education, employment, or self-sufficient living.

In certain places, when you attain the age of majority, you are considered to have reached the ‘age of majority.’ This implies that at the age of 18 (or 19 or 21 in certain jurisdictions), you are granted the authority to make your own educational, career, and independent living decisions, and you are no longer subject to the IDEA’s requirements.

  1. Among the various programs available to you as you make the transition from high school to postsecondary settings is Rehabilitation Services (also known as RES).
  2. Your state vocational rehabilitation agencies get monies from the federal government as a result of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as modified, to run this program, which is overseen by the U.S.
  3. To prepare you for employment, place you in a job, and promote your independence and integration into the workplace and community, the VR program will assess, plan, design, and deliver services to you if you are eligible.
  4. You are no longer protected by the statutes that were in effect while you were in high school in postsecondary settings.
  5. If you, your family, and your transition team do not come up with a solid strategy, you will be forced to self-advocate or stand up for yourself in order to defend your rights and obtain the assistance you need.
  6. It is critical for you and your parents to understand that, in order to be eligible for postsecondary education, you must fulfill the eligibility requirements set out by the law.
  7. This is a very different environment from your high school.
  8. This implies that you must be provided with a free and suitable education, according to the law.

To be eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation services, you must meet the following requirements: (1) you must have a physical, mental, emotional, or learning disability that is a real barrier to you obtaining employment; (2) you must require Vocational Rehabilitation services to prepare you to obtain, maintain, or regain employment; and (3) you must be able to benefit from the services that will assist you in obtaining and maintaining employment or benefiting from independent living.

  • It is presumed that you are qualified if you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
  • Not everyone who qualifies for services will be provided with them.
  • Because there is not enough funds to assist everyone, pupils with the most severe impairments, who are the most likely to benefit, will be served first.
  • When you apply, you are placed on a waiting list, and you may be selected for services depending on the order in which you were placed on the list.
  • This implies that each case is dealt with on an individual basis.
  • The qualifying requirements differ from one state to the next.
  • You and your parents will need to continue to monitor the progress of your case.

If you are sent to a vocational rehabilitation organization, you should provide them with copies of your employment and community records.

Your high school should collect and maintain records that will assist you in meeting your job demands and achieving your career goals.

When it comes to transitioning children with disabilities into vocational rehabilitation programs, several states have collaborative efforts between the special education department, Vocational Rehabilitation services, and vocational-technical education.

You and your parents can submit a written application and schedule a meeting with the agency’s personnel on your own time and schedule.

Except if you and your Vocational Rehabilitation counselor have agreed to an extension, you will receive an eligibility determination or a response within 60 days of submitting your application.

Because the application procedure varies from state to state, it is important to start early.

Those objectives will be put down in your Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE), and they will be in accordance with your personal characteristics such as your strengths and resources as well as your concerns and abilities, interests and priorities as well as your informed decision.

It’s possible that your parents will be on the squad.

What programs and services are available to assist me? The law demands that you get any programs or assistance that you may require in order to obtain and maintain a job or to live independently. These programs and services varies from one state to the next, however they may include the following:

  • Training, advice, and referral services in the field of occupational therapy – vocational rehabilitation counselors will meet with you to determine your talents and interests, assist you in determining your job objectives, and assist you in developing a plan for your program of services
  • Qualification and vocational rehabilitation needs assessments – such as career assessments and functional vocational evaluations – will assist you in discovering more about your interests, skills and abilities. Assistance with obtaining eyeglasses, vision services, mental health care, and speech therapy are some examples of physical and mental rehabilitation services available in the community. Students who are deaf might benefit from interpreter services. Students who are blind can benefit from reader services. Transportation connected to other vocational rehabilitation services – you may be reimbursed for the costs of transportation incurred when participating in other vocational rehabilitation services in specific cases. Indemnification for any excess expenses spent while getting specified vocational rehabilitation services Vocational and other training programs, as well as on-the-job training, are examples of programs and classes that teach job skills. Supported employment services, including a job coach – you will be provided with these services for as long as you require them to assist you in maintaining your employment
  • Workplace placement services – you will receive aid with job searching and job-keeping skills such as employment development, work placement assistance, and job maintenance. Employees will get workplace personal assistant services (WPAS), which may include assistance with work tasks and tasks-related tasks, a reader, an interpreter, assistance with lifting and reaching work-related objects, a personal care assistant, or a travel helper. These services include instruction in the administration, supervision, and direction of your personal assistance services
  • And You will be provided with assistive technology, special devices, or accommodations to help you perform your job duties, such as enlarged print, TDD, or raising a desk to accommodate a wheelchair
  • Independent living programs – to assess your independent living needs and identify barriers to employment
  • Home modifications – in order to help you better manage tasks and work more efficiently in your home
  • Rehabilitation technology services and devices – in order to provide you with assistive technology, special devices, or accommodations to help you perform your job duties
  • Student transition services to help students with impairments make the move from school to job

Through the One-Stop Career Centers, the Workforce Investment Act Amendment of 2005 (WIA) includes the partnership and participation of Vocational Rehabilitation in the Workforce Investment Act. This Act makes improvements to the centers and mandates that they provide comprehensive services to you, such as counseling, benefits, job training, postsecondary education and training, and other services, among other things. The centers will assist you in obtaining higher-paying jobs and will urge businesses to include you in their workforce training initiatives.

Sitlington-Clark (2006) defined formalized adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbial adverbi To ensure that you receive the best possible vocational rehabilitation services, the Job Training Improvement Act of 2005 (JTIA) requires that the services you receive be evaluated to see how well they are performing and how well they are linked with your individualized education plan (IEP).

It also provides monies to your state for the purpose of providing you with transitional assistance as you prepare for higher education, employment, or independent life.

Originally published on BrainLine on November 17, 2009.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *